Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Dear Mum

Dear Mum,
I do not know where you are. Daddy refuses to talk about you. But I know you see me. Now. Writing to you in my room. Crying hot tears. One. Two. They trickle down. Down into my mouth. Where I can taste them, all salty and warm. I miss you, Mum. Are you feeling cold, Mum, down there, in the hole behind the Church? Daddy says, you have already dug your way out into God's House. He says, all good people go to God's House when he asks for us. And the only way is to dig through the earth. I will ask Daddy to make sure you have dug your tunnel. I kept a torch for you with two new batteries. That fat Father in the Church, did not allow me first, but then Daddy said it was all right.


Dear Mum,
Today, Daddy brought 'Ur-new-Mum' home again. 'This is Ur-new-Mum'. He said to me. She comes home on Friday nights and leaves on Monday nights. 'Be Nice to her' he said to me with narrowed eyes. I nod. 'I will, Papa', I reply. But she doesn't smell like you, Mum. How can I love her? And she kissed me on the cheek, but her lips were as cold as ice. I missed you then, Mum.


Dear Mum,
Today I scraped my knees. I fell down from the swing. I ran home, tears on my cheeks. Ur-New-Mum was in the kitchen when she saw me. She came running to me. And hugged me to her. Tight. Almost hurting my knee again. Then she kissed it and the Hurt went away! She cleaned it with Dettol and put a nice clean BandAid on it. Almost like you would have done, Mum. I think I might start to love her a  little. Daddy said to me, yester-night, that you wouldn't come back for a long, long time. He said, You were with God in His House. He is old and wants people to take care of him. But he chooses only the kindest, bestest people. So you had to go. Daddy says, we will be joining you there in your new house very soon. I can't wait to see you Mum.


Dear Mum,
Yesterday I won the singing competition in school. The prizes will be distributed today. And the teachers asked me to bring my Mum and Dad. I was not sure if Ur-New-Mum wanted to come. But when I told her and Daddy yesterday, she agreed immediately. She even clapped her hands and picked me up and twirled. Round and Round. She is starting to smell like you a little now. Is it all right if I like her, Mum? Would you feel bad?


Dear Mum,
I guess you will have to wait a little longer for Daddy and Me to come to you. Ur-New-Mum baked a big Apple-pie yesterday for my birthday. Antoinette, Julie, Charles, Sid, Stella, Josh all loved it so much that she promised to bake another one this Saturday. I can't wait for Ur-New-Mum to come home now. I called her 'Mummy' yesterday. I won't call her, Mum, though. I asked her to wear your nightgown. The pink one with white daisies around the neck. We loved that, didn't we, Mum? She smells more and more like you, Mum. I think I do love her after all. Almost as much as I do you, Mum, if not more.


Dear Mum,
Today we had a Photographer come to the house to take pictures of us. I wore my new pink ruffled frock that Mummy picked up for me. She also bought me matching shoes and ribbons. She said I looked like a Doll. I thought I looked like her. Daddy showed us the pictures on his computer. My favorite is the one with Daddy and I, and Mummy and baby Bella. Mummy is holding Me. and Daddy is holding baby Bella. I am taking it for 'Show and Tell' at school next week.

10 comments:

Unruly Rebel said...

dis was so touchin n cute...
nice post...
something THEY call life

Shilpa Nair said...

Thanks 'UR'..... :) :)

Anu...:) said...

Nice...:-)

A different take on Stepmothers.:-)

Binu Thomas said...

Truly from the bottom of your heart.. Nice post :)

Karan said...

Nice share . My first visit and first read . Beautiful . Keep sharing.

Shilpa Nair said...

Thanks Anu, Binu n Karan....keep coming to my page !!

the critics said...

simply superb just loved it............awesome awesome awesome

HA!fA said...

cUte lAngUage . .

Enchanta said...

How can you think like this?
Can you please write a book??

D2 said...

This is one of most touching stories or pieces of memoirs I have ever read. It was beautiful.