Saturday, March 19, 2011

Maternal Love

To whom do I owe this fear to?
To you, O Mother, who was afraid of the society’s rantings against an unwed woman?
To whom do I owe this guilt to?
To you O Father, who could not look her in the eye when you said you couldn’t marry her?
Where does this longing come from? Where do these tears trickle from?
Did you never even think of me, Did you not long to feel me tugging at your breast?
Answer me, Mother, when I ask.
Do not just lie there, wild-eyed, with your heart empty of all love.
You did not love your three children, the same way you loved me, why?
What did you feel when you left me out in the cold night, in the Garbage dump?
Did you not think of who would discover me the next day – the dogs or the garbage collectors?
Why didn’t you just strangle me, Wouldn’t that have been easier on your Conscience?
Why don’t you answer , O Mother of mine? What can I do to make you talk to me, cradle me in your arms?
Aren’t 20 stabbings through your heart enough to revive you?
Can’t you feel my bloodied hands beating against your limp, lifeless body?
Answer me, Mother, when I ask.
Do not just lie there, wild-eyed, with your heart empty of all love.....

No comments: